2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
1 stalk celery, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
10 large plum tomatoes roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more, if preferred)
1 Tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup water, plus more, if needed
4 to 5 large zucchini
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup of water
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot or skillet on medium heat.
2. Add onions and carrots to the skillet and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the celery, garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and half of the water and cook down on medium low for at least 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add extra water if mixture looks too thick or water has evaporated quickly. (You can start with the zucchini pappardelle during this step)
4. Transfer mixture to a container or bowl with high sides. Using an immersion blender, blend tomato sauce to break up chunks and blend to desired consistency.
1. Wash zucchini and trim off the blossom end (you want to keep the stem as a handle for peeling strips).
2. Using a peeler and a cut glove on the hand holding the zucchini, peel off the skin and discard.
3. Hold the zucchini flat against the cutting board and carefully peel long, wide strips to create a zucchini “noodle” or zoodle. Continue peeling strips until you can see the seeds. Flip the zucchini over so that you can utilize the flat surface and continue peeling on all sides until you see seeds.
4. Repeat until you have a big pile of zucchini noodles and discard the seed cores.
5. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add zoodles, salt and pepper to the skillet with a splash of water. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, covering for a minute or so, until tender.
6. In the last minute, add tomato sauce to the skillet to toss together and heat the sauce through. Serve hot with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.