- 1 cup dried whole-wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, chopped
- 2 small yellow summer squash or zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅔ cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Pour the pasta into a baking dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 F°.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bell pepper for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in the broccoli and squash. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in ¼ cup water. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the milk, ½ cup water, flour, salt and pepper. Pour into the cooked bell pepper mixture. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Cheddar and Jack cheese until melted. Stir into the pasta. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the top is golden brown.