For the sauce:
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet and crisp apple(like Fuji, Gala, Pink Lady, or Honeycrisp),unpeeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
For the beans:
- 3 –15 ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a pot or an electric skillet. Cover and simmer on medium or medium-low for about 25 to 35minutes. Stir occasionally and watch to make sure that the sauce does not boil and the sauce doesn’t burn to the bottom of the pan.
- Once all of the ingredients have softened and the sauce looks chunky, turn the heat off. Remove the bay leaf and blend using an immersion blender or in a blender.
- Add the sauce back to the pot (if you transferred it out to blend) and stir in the drained beans. Heat on medium low for about 5 to 10 minutes or until the beans are warmed through.
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram