For the chicken:
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the chimichurri:
- 1 ½ cups packed parsley leaves and stems
- ½ cup packed cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- Heat skillet to 300ºF (about medium heat) and add canola oil.
- Place chicken thighs in the skillet and cook covered for 15 minutes, flipping halfway. Chicken is finished when the internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Make sure to take the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Place chimichurri ingredients in a food processor or, if using an immersion blender, in a high-sided container. Pulse until mixture reaches desired texture.
- To build the dish, remove the lid from the chicken and add half of the chimichurri to the skillet for the final minute of cooking. Set aside the remaining sauce for topping. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken warm, shredded or cut into strips,topped with extra chimichurri.