1 cup farro
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar
½ teaspoon oregano
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of ½ a lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 small bunch rainbow chard
1 small yellow zucchini, diced small
1 orange bell pepper, diced small
½ shallot, minced
¼ cups slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- Bring 2 ½ cups of water to boil in a small saucepot over high heat. Add the farro and lower the heat to medium, partially cover the pot, and simmer for 25 minutes. Farro should be tender, but not mushy with most or all of the water absorbed. Drain any remaining water and let farro cool to room temperature.
- While the farro cooks, whisk together the lemon oregano vinaigrette by combining the Dijon, honey, white wine vinegar, oregano, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper. Slowly stream in the olive oil and whisk continuously to emulsify. Set aside.
- Trim the bottoms of the chard and then fold leaves onto themselves lengthwise. Cut the leaves and stems crosswise into thin strips, about ¼ inch thick. Add the chard to a mixing bowl with prepared zucchini, bell pepper, and shallot. Toss to combine.
- Stir cooled farro into the vegetable mixture and top with the vinaigrette, mixing well to coat all of the ingredients.
- Serve with slivered almonds on top (if using) or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
-Adapted from Full Belly: Good Eats for a Healthy Pregnancy by Tara Mataraza Desmond