- 2 ½ Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped (about 8 cups)
- 12 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil, spinach, arugula, or mint
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted walnuts
- 1 ½ tablespoons shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a large skillet. Cook the zucchini over medium-high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain in a colander, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.
- In a food processor or blender, process the basil, garlic, walnuts, 1 1/2 Tbsp oil, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and half of the cooked zucchini for 1 minute, or until well blended. Process for 30 seconds. Repeat until the desired consistency. (The pesto can also be made with a mortar and pestle or even by chopping the ingredients very finely by hand and mixing together!)
- In a large bowl, stir together the pasta, pesto, and 1 Tbsp preserved pasta water. One Tbsp at a time, add the remaining pasta water until the desired consistency.
- Top with the remaining zucchini. Enjoy!
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram