- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 celery stalks, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 bunch Lacinato or dinosaur kale
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 potato, cubed (about 1 ½ cups)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or any combination of dried rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano and/or parsley)
- 1 teaspoon salt (less if broth and/or beans are not low-sodium)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 32 ounces low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans low-sodium white beans (any variety), drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a stock pot. Add carrot, celery, and onion and sauté until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the kale, separate the leaves from the stems. Thinly slice the stems and roughly chop or rip up the leaves.
- Add kale stems, garlic, and potato to the pot and stir well to combine. Cook for two or three minutes.
- Stir in your choice of Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute or so.
- Add vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil.
- While the broth is coming to a boil, place ½ cup of the drained and rinsed beans into a bowl and mash into a paste using a fork or spoon.
- Once the mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer and stir in beans, mashed beans, and torn kale greens.
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and the kale greens have softened.
- Stir in lemon juice. Taste and season, as desired.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram