For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cups unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8-12 tbs ice water
For the filling:
- 1 rotisserie chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 potato, diced and peeled
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp fried thyme (or fresh)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cups milk of choice or heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
Make the crust:
- Place flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the butter and using two forks (or a pastry cutter), mix the butter is pea sized.
- Add the water, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring gently with a fork until the dough is just coming together but is still crumbly. Test that the dough is ready by squeezing the dough in your hands until it holds.
- Smash the dough together and separate into two balls. Wrap in plastic wrap and rest in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Roll out half the dough into the pie plate. Set pie plate and remaining dough in plastic wrap in the fridge.
Make the filling and finish:
- Place potatoes and carrots in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cook, covered, 8-10 minutes until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet over medium heat, add in the onion, celery, and garlic and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add frozen corn and peas.
- Stir in flour and seasonings; continue stirring for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add broth and milk, stirring frequently until thick. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, potatoes, and carrots. Allow mixture to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Add veggie mixture into the pie dish. Roll out the remaining pie crust and place on top, pinching the edges shut. Cut 3-4 slits in the top of the pie.
- Whisk egg and water together and brush on top of the crust.
- Bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve!
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram