- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (about one cup), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¾ cup canned crushed fire-roasted tomatoes (plain will do)
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works!)
- 8 to 10 – 6-inch corn tortillas
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup diced red onion
- Crumbled cotija or queso fresco cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the chipotles, oregano, and cumin, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes, stock, and salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes.
- Place the tomato mixture in a high-powered or regular blender, and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended sauce to the pan over low heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- To assemble, top warmed tortillas with the chicken and garnish with your toppings of choice!
*Adapted from: Pinch of Yum : https://pinchofyum.com/the-best-chicken-tinga-tacos