- 1 –14-to 16-ounce block extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 16 ounces mushrooms, finely diced
- 4 stalks celery, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 Tablespoons ginger, minced or grated
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced, whites and greens divided
- 4 carrots, peeled and grated 3 cups green cabbage, grated
- 1–8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 to 2 heads iceberg, Bibb, or butter lettuce, or napa cabbage, leaves separated
- Pickled Red Peppers for garnish
For the stir fry sauce & drizzle:
- ½ cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ⅓ cup scallion greens, thinly slice
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- To press tofu, line a cutting board or plate with paper towels or clean dish towels. Place block of tofu on lined surface and top with more towels. Place a weighted object on top (for example, a heavy skillet, textbook, or cans of vegetables) and let sit for 10 to15 minutes.
- Once tofu is pressed, place in a medium bowl and crumble using a wooden spoon, spatula, or gloved hands.
- After ingredients are prepped, heat a wok, high-sided sauté pan,or electric skillet to medium high.
- Add the oil and, once it shimmers, add crumbled tofu and finely diced mushrooms. Sauté for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the stir-fry sauce ingredients: tamari or soy sauce, scallion greens, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Add celery, garlic, ginger, and the white parts of the scallions to the pan with tofu and mushrooms and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots, cabbage, and water chestnuts and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add about half of the stir fry sauce (mixing well before adding) to the tofu and vegetable mixture. Stir well to coat each ingredient. Remove from heat and taste. Stir in a little more sauce, if needed. (The remaining sauce will be used to drizzle over each lettuce wrap.)
- To serve, scoop about two heaping Tablespoons of the tofu mixture into each lettuce leaf. Top with extra drizzle of sauce, as desired, and garnish with Pickled Red Peppers any extra sliced scallion greens. Enjoy!