- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced small
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon berbere seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups split red lentils
- Heat olive oil in a skillet or wide, high-sided sauté pan set to medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, and berbere seasoning and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently and reducing heat, if needed, to prevent burning.
- Add broth, water, salt, and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid on, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until lentils are soft.
- Enjoy with injera flatbread if you like. Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.