- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, diced small
- 3 celery stalks, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 – 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Place a large, high-sided saucepan over medium-high heat and add oil. Add the onion, pepper, celery, carrot, and green beans, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent, but not brown.
- Add garlic and cook for one minute. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, spices, and soy sauce or tamari. Cook for about 1 minute to let some of the tomato juice release.
- Add the rice and kidney beans and slowly pour in the broth, stirring as you add the liquid. Reduce the heat to medium and let the dish cook, covered until the rice absorbs all the liquid. It should take about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram