For the salad:
- 2 heads romaine or other leafy green, cut into thin ribbons
- ½ head red cabbage, grated or thinly shredded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 –15 ounce can corn, drained
- 1 –15.5 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 bell peppers (any color), diced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, sliced and quartered
- Optional additions: kale, avocado, grated carrot, thinly sliced scallions, drained and rinsed chickpeas or other beans, quartered and sliced zucchini, shredded or cubed cheese, crispy corn tortilla pieces, cilantro, or whatever you have on hand!
For the chipotle ranch:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Juice of ½ of a lime, approximately 1 Tablespoon
- ½ canned chipotle pepper in adobo plus 1 to 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce
- ½ cup cilantro, packed tightly
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the salad, wash and prepare all ingredients as described. Place all of the prepared ingredients into a large bowl.
- For the chipotle ranch, place all ingredients into a blender or into a container with high sides if using an immersion blender. Combine until smooth and well mixed. Alternatively, finely chop the chipotle pepper and cilantro and stir well to combine. (Note: take care when handling chipotle peppers in adobo –they are spicy! Wearing gloves is recommended.)
- Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed. To add extra spice or smokiness, add extra chipotle pepper or adobo sauce.
- To build the salad, add a half cup of the dressing to the salad and use tongs or gloved hands to toss and coat the salad. Add more dressing, as desired.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!