- 1 Tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 medium carrots, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons oregano, basil, and/or Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or more, to taste)
- 32oz low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- (1) 28-ouncecan low-sodium crushed orwhole peeledtomatoes
- 1 ½ cups green or brown lentils OR(2) 15.5-ounce cans low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water (if using lentils)
- Set a stockpot or high-sided skillet over medium heat and add oil.
- Stir in onion, carrot, and celery and reduce heat to medium low or low heat to sweat aromatics (meaning, the vegetables don’t get any color and the onion slowly becomes translucent) for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dried herbs, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Cook for about two minutes to melt the tomato paste.
- Add broth, canned tomatoes,and either dried lentils with additional water OR the drained and rinsed chickpeas. (Note: if using whole peeled tomatoes, the soup will be as chunky as the pieces of tomato –feel free to blend, break, or dice before adding to the pot!)
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes (canned beans) and up to 45 minutes (lentils) or until the beans have warmed or cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed, and enjoy!
Follow us on social media for recipes, resources and the latest VCP news!Follow us on Instagram