- 4 to 5 large zucchini, peeled into thin, flat strips or “zoodles”
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 10 large plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes, if desired
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet. Add zoodles, salt, and pepper to the skillet with a splash of water. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes, covering for a minute or so, until tender. Take care not to overcook!
- In a large pot or skillet, heat remaining 3 Tbsp olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions and carrots to the skillet and sauté for about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the celery, garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and ½ cup of water and cook down on medium low for at least 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add extra water if mixture looks too thick or water has evaporated quickly.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or a container with high sides. Using an immersion blender, blend sauce to break up chunks until it reaches desired texture. Taste and season, adding cayenne or red pepper flakes if a spicier sauce is preferred.
- Add tomato sauce to the skillet with the zoodles to toss together and heat through. Top with Parmesan, parsley, basil, or other desired toppings. Enjoy!